Thursday 4 June 2015

My Build Time

How long has it been ?

The problem with building is that everyone keeps asking you “When is your house going to be finished ?” . The answer inevitably is I don’t know and I just want it done right so I don’t have any future headaches.

This morning my wife mentioned it had been 3 weeks since we did our PCI, and how much longer do we have left. Whilst I didn’t have an answer I thought I would calculate how long it has actually been for our build.

For those of you building and wanting to keep track of those rainy days. The Australia government keeps a record of rain days. http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/data/index.shtml

I have tailored it for my area and based on the data I have calculated how long my house has been under construction.

The following assumptions have been factored in.
  • Provincial Shuts down from December 23rd to January 19th for a total of 18 work days
  • I have taken a worst case scenario of my build starting as at September 12th, my first blog post is on the 14th after visiting on the weekend. I would assume they actually started sometime during the prior week. Everything during this period has been excluded (Hi-lited in thick border in the picture below)
  •  Rainy days have been factored in from the above site using the closest weather station to the house. I have included in days of 1mm precipitation as well which isn’t a lot.
  • 5 Day work weeks have also been assumed.
  • Since we took hardwood flooring out I have reduced our contract time by the 1 week they had increased it by to do this. Hey we paid a $1,000 penalty for the privilege !!!!!


So how long has it been
  • So far we have had 40 Rain days
  • 168 Workable construction days
  • 120 Contractual days based on 24 weeks.

Which means we are 168 – 40 – 120 = at least 8 days over our contractual construction period. Now that is being extremely conservative, I would expect it to be more as there are 17 rain days I have included which show precipitation of 3mm or less, you also wouldn’t think rain days would apply once the roof is on.




We will see if we are credited for Provincial’s Rental Guarantee, I would expect a credit of at least $800 based on the above calculation. We shall see what happens. Maybe that can go towards getting the wonky but functional crapper replaced lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment